Wednesday, December 18, 2013

12/18/13~"Why study Shakespeare?"

Your homework tonight is:

1.  Read and annotate "What students need to know about rhetoric?" packet.  Write down 5 questions you have after reading the packet.
2.  Watch the TED talk "Why study Shakespeare?"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSbtkLA3GrY&noredirect=1
3.  After watching the video, please comment on the following... (in the comments section below. write your name)
   
           - what do you know about Shakespeare?
           -what do you want to know about Shakespeare or his works?
           - what are the strongest claims made by the speaker?  why?
           -  what does the speaker DO to make his speech effective?  in other words, what rhetorical devices                    make his speech work?
            -did he challenge any previous ideas you had about Shakespeare?  if so, which ones?
           -  what is your opinion of his central claim?  do you agree or not?


27 comments:

  1. Jonathan Yu

    (What do you know about Shakespeare?)
    William Shakespeare was an English writer and playwright. The written books and plays that I recognize are Twelfth Night, Othello, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, and Hamlet.

    (What do you want to know about Shakespeare or his works?)
    I would like to know the influence of his works and how he structures his work (in writing).

    (What are the strongest claims made by the speaker? Why?)
    The speaker makes the claims that education can be shared through different ways. Hip hop is a culture created through expressionism which does not differ from the same idea of Shakespeare's works. Both are just as expressive in knowledge and philosophy.

    (What does the speaker DO to make his speech effective? in other words, what rhetorical devices make his speech work?)

    The speaker uses examples such as Shakespeare's work and works from other artists. He repeats the idea subtly and also references to the history of hip-hop.

    (Did he challenge any previous ideas you had about Shakespeare? If so, which ones?)
    None.

    (What is your opinion of his central claim? Do you agree or not?)
    I agree. The language within things like hip-hop or Shakespeare are not different. The two both can be expressive of morals, ideologies, and philosophies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. -Shakespeare lived during the English Renaissance period and is considered the world's most famous playwrite and poet.
    -I want to know how Shakespeare uses rhetoric in his works because there must be a purpose for the class being assigned the Rhetoric packet during the Shakespeare Unit.
    -The speaker's strongest claims are that hip-hop is comparable to the Shakespearean style and that hip-hop is a form of art, such as poems and plays.
    -The speaker combines logos and pathos in the form of the "Shakespeare of Hip-Hop" game by challenging preconceived ideas people have about hip-hop. When the lyrics/lines presented sounded poetic, more people assumed it was Shakespeare when it was in fact hip-hop, which shocks the audience and disproves their previous beliefs.
    -In contemporary society, many have argued that hip-hop is stylistically a form of poetry and I have always believed that theory so the speaker did not challenge any of my previous ideas.
    -I agree that hip-hop juxtaposed to Shakespeare is poetry because both art forms share similar characteristics. For example, both hip--hop songs and Shakespearean works are overly dramatized so that they obtain public reaction and most of the themes are somewhat tragic or profile unfortunate events and conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the moment, I know that Shakespeare lived from the late 1500s to the early 1600s. He wrote countless poems plays, and many of them are still well known in the world today. Some of his popular works include Twelfth Night, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Sonnet 18, and Othello. Due to Akala's Ted Talk, I want know which phrases and passages from Shakespeare work can be interpreted or mistaken as hip-hop music. Akala makes the claim that hip-hop music and the works of Shakespeare are inherently the same. He states this because hip-hop music is usually given a negative connotation when in reality, it can provide the same level of intellect and knowledge for an audience. Akala interacts with the audience and does demonstrations of music to get his point across. By interacting with the audience in the beginning of his speech, he pulls them in and causes them to want to know more as to why Shakespeare and hip-hop are similar. He spikes their questions of logic and emotion. Akala uses his own demonstrations of hip-hop music being paired up with Shakespeare's Sonnet 18 to create more interest. In addition to this, Akala provides the history of hip-hop and Shakespeare in a credible sense that makes the audience trust believe his claim. Akala did not challenge any previous ideas I had about Shakespeare because I already knew that his works connect to the world of hip-hop and other arts. It really takes work and patience to be able to connect the two seemingly different worlds to make sense of it as a whole. I believe that Akala's central claim is true. There is beauty and connections between both types of works even if it is not obvious at first. Both educate individuals in moral lessons and life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanette Yue

    Shakespeare is a poet and playwright from a long time ago. He has written hundreds of sonnets, but I’m not exactly sure how many plays he has written. Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet, Macbeth, and Twelfth Night are just some of his works. Although most of his work is about forbidden or lost love, there is also comedy and humor as well. Other than that, I'm not too familiar with him.
    The strongest claim the speaker, Akala makes is about the relationship between hip-hop and Shakespeare. When art is stripped down and looked at without previous knowledge of what it is and where it comes from, there are often commonalities that may surprise some people. At first thought, rap and Shakespeare don’t seem like they have much in common, but Akala breaks it down. He shows his audience that even they can’t recognize the difference between modern hip-hop and Shakespeare.
    The speaker, Akala, understands who he’s talking to. He speaks directly to his audience, a group of older white listeners, while also keeping in mind that his speech will be heard later. He appeals to ethos when he speaks about Shakespeare, proving he knows what he is talking about. He makes many references to other artists, which provides support for his argument.
    I previously believed Shakespeare was boring because it’s difficult to understand the language he uses. I still think reading his work will be challenging, and I’ll probably still find it boring, but Akala has given me a new perspective on hip hop. Maybe Shakespeare is cooler than I thought. I’m able to make more connections to Shakespeare through hop hip and vice versa.
    Akala’s central claim is that hip hop deserves more appreciation and it isn’t as far from literature as some would believe. While some hip hop does follow the same lyrical patterns and standards as Shakespeare, that doesn’t necessarily ring true for all rappers. However, for the most part, it isn’t a far-fetched argument that hip hop is poetry, and it deserves more credit. Akala realizes that his audience of mostly older folks perceive hip hop negatively, as something that supports drug and alcohol use. As Akala shows though, hip hop is more than what the media makes it out to be. There’s depth and meaning, and if people take time to listen and understand what artists are trying to say, they'll see that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shakespeare was an English writer and he wrote many plays and sonnets. Many of those focused on themes about love and death, usually as a mixture of comedy and tragedy. The strongest claims that Akala makes are that “music is imitating the rhythm of life” and that the debate about Shakespeare ultimately comes down to “who’s allowed to be the custodian of knowledge and who isn’t.” These claims are thought-provoking and he spends his presentation connecting all his evidence and analysis to prove them. Also, he continuously refers back to the “custodian of knowledge” as his central idea. Akala effectively utilizes pathos by using the word “we”, engaging the audience in his Q&A session in the beginning, and discussing his personal experience with the Wu-Tang Clan album. He appeals to ethos with his vast knowledge of hip hop/Shakespearean quotes, his musical demonstration, and his association with the Hip Hop Shakespeare Company. Lastly, he uses his experience working with youth and what he’s learned as logic for his argument. In addition, he has an extremely effective stage-presence with his tone of voice and body language/movement. A previous idea that he challenged was the existence of a disparity between Shakespeare and hip hop, because it is commonly thought that hip hop is more informal while students are often required to read Shakespeare in school. Akala’s central claim is that there is a “unity in human culture” that art forms such as Shakespeare and hip hop can reveal. The unifying effects of all types of art that can be witnessed today, as well as in the past, demonstrate the truth in his argument of the power of language and expression on society, particularly on education.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This video is very interesting and effective in instilling the notion that hip hop and Shakespeare are two related forms of art. I now know that Shakespeare pronounced words much differently than how they are pronounced now. The language variation also relates to the fact that society was divided along class lines and each class spoke English very differently depending on where the person grew up and how much formal education they had. I would like to learn about how Shakespeare even got into the art of poetry, and what inspired him to write. The speaker in the video is very effective because he uses a positive tone and attitude while addressing the audience. He also puts emotion and character into his words which makes the video more fascinating. After watching the video I now realize that Shakespeare and his works can be very interesting and inspiring rather than confusing and boring. Now that I have this new knowledge about Shakespeare and his work, I realize that the speaker’s central claim does make sense. I agree with the speaker that hip hop and Shakespeare are related and that language and knowledge are intertwined and effective in conveying emotions, events, and history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Janice Huang

    Shakespeare is a well-known English writer, playwright, and poet who is famous for his overly-complicated 1500s English language. Although he is nationally recognized for his plays and sonnets, most people don’t understand what makes his work different from other poets at that time; perhaps, it’s the ambiguous messages behind his writings and how he incorporates themes such as love and tragedy. The speaker, Akala, claims that knowledge is the central idea and how it relates to peoples’ understanding of Shakespeare’s work. Knowledge is the key element to how Akala connects with his audience with no regards to a certain group. He incorporates pathos through his Q&A session to interact with the audience while discussing how he became passionate for hip-hop. He utilizes logos by expressing his own experience with hip-hop and using that as his basis for his argument. Also, Akala appeals to ethos as he demonstrates his knowledge on hip-hop, Shakespeare’s quotes and poems, and even on his own company. His body language and his charismatic personality helps him engage with the audience even more. Akala argues the debate between Shakespeare and hip hop and the difference among it. Although the media portrays hip hop as informal, people still convey hip hop as a type of art similar to how they believe Shakespeare’s work is. Akala utilizes this point in which he believes that hip hop and Shakespeare are more common than what other think because those work can invoke similar to feelings to different types of people, hence why people consider both a form of art. Therefore, Shakespeare’s work is not that different from hip hop as both show “unity”.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the speaker’s claim that Shakespeare has a lot in common with hip-hop artists. One of his strongest examples that convinced me his claim was accurate was when he pointed out who Shakespeare’s audience was. Despite my having imagined Shakespeare as an affluent and well-educated man of a higher class, he connected with and most of his audience members were every-day working class people. The speaker made many appeals to logos, which made his speech more likely to convince his audience that Shakespeare was not of a super elite class of people. Another example of this is when he pronounced out loud the way Shakespeare would have pronounced words, and it was not, as is often misunderstood, “the Queen’s English,” but a ruddier language.
    I believe, especially after watching this video, that I know very little about Shakespeare. It is actually amusing to me that I have performed “the Comedy of Errors,” made an extensive presentation on one of his sonnets, and read “Twelfth Night,” yet I know nothing about who Shakespeare was. One thing that I would really like to know is what was Shakespeare’s intention in making his pieces? Was Shakespeare trying to send a message to his audience through his stories or just amuse us? Also I would like to know how he was able to create so many different works in one lifetime.
    -Hannah Szentkuti

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that Shakespeare was a poet and wrote several plays, including the one we read in freshman year. I want to know his inspiration, his hindrances. I want to know if people in his time could read his plays fine. I believe that the strongest claim is "And one of the things that was so inspirational about hip hop
    was that people who were told they were not supposed to do that,without trying to be anything they weren't,
    without dressing any different,
    without speaking any differently,
    they decided, they made the decision:
    "We're going to become custodians of this knowledge.
    We're gonna educate ourselves
    and we're gonna transmit this knowledge through the music." This is strong because it offers a new idea and supports it with evidence, it is also very appealing to ethos and a little pathos. Another strong claim is: Now we're gonna try a completely different style of beat, different tempo of beat.
    You're gonna see the same lyric, because of this consistent rhythm, can fit" This is strong because it introduces a new idea and claims a strong point with evidence following. Akala employs lots of ethos and a little but a pathos. Akala used flashbacks, narratives(his own story,) and definitely comparing and contrasting of hip hop and Shakespear. I had no real previous ideas about Shakespear, but he did give me further knowledge so I may challange later. I think Akalas central claim is both necessary and proper, well maybe not for outside. - Josh De Roboam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris Uy
    AP Comp
    I know that Shakespeare is an old playwright from Europe and is famous for plays like Romeo and Juliet. Also, he is has the title of being the man who has the 2nd most amount of books written about himself, second to god, and above Abraham Lincoln.
    I want to know what was Shakespeare's drive to write all these plays and sonnets. Also, I would like to know what type of schooling he had undergone to see if was a creative genius or the result of hours of study. The strongest claims made by the speaker is the claim that hip hop and Shakespeare are not different at all, although they are perceived to be. Both are art forms that challenge the idea of the world around them and are centered around the iambic pentameter.The speaker makes his speech effective by his varying voice speed, tone, and hand movement.He challenged my idea that Shakespeare was so archaic and out of touch in modern day society, but in fact, his words can be melded into hip hop. His central claim was that knowledge is all about who is the “custodian”. Who is the person distributing it, and who are they making it for are the most important aspects, and the speaker supports this by using specific examples from Shakespeare's time and the genesis of hip hop. His analysis is correct, and he presents an interesting point of view on education as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not know much about Shakespeare. I read only one play by him, and it was assigned to all the freshmen during our freshmen year. However, I do want to know why he is known as one of the best writers of all time. The strongest claim made by Akala is that hip-hop and Shakespeare are alike because they both share the same rhythm: the rhythm of life. Since Akala refers to iambic pentameter as “the rhythm of life,” he makes the stressed-unstressed pattern of sounds seem life the most important beat of the planet, making it one of his strongest claims. Akala gives facts about the history of hip-hop and its origins, appealing to logos. He thus proves that hip-hop and Shakespeare are connected via not only rhythm and beat, but also in origin. Also, giving facts establishes Akala’s ethos as it makes him more credible and believable. I originally thought that anything by Shakespeare would be boring and difficult to understand, but now I see that Shakespeare could be very interesting and fun to decipher once you put your mind to it. After Akala’s abundance of facts, demonstrations, and appeals to ethos, I agree with his central claim that Shakespeare and Hip-hop are very alike.

    -AJ Carpio-

    ReplyDelete
  12. What is interesting about Shakespeare is how his work could still be considered contemporary if you take out the context of who wrote the piece. However, what I wish to know is how his work continues to be fascinatingly studied through years of development in the English language.
    In the TED talk, the most convincing evidence was the rhythm of Shakespeare’s work. The iambic pentameter, said by the speaker, resembles the beat of modern hip-hop.
    In the speech, the speaker made the audience oblivious to the subject at hand. Therefore, convincing the audience that they need more knowledge about Shakespeare and hip-hop. His appeal to pathos is his connection with the audience. His sense of humor makes the audience feel at home and easy to listen to. What makes it work is his ability to advance the conversation after his performances and his jokes; the ability to convey his message makes him invulnerable to getting off topic and losing the audiences attention.
    He did challenge my views on why Shakespeare is so talked about however; it is all because of my unclear understanding of metrical foots.
    I agree that the Shakespeare should be studied but what about the subject matter, shouldn’t it be studied too?

    ReplyDelete
  13. -Shakespeare is an English poet/playwright who lived in the 15-1600s (during the Renaissance). He's extremely famous/well-know, he used iambic pentameter a lot, and he wrote a lot of sonnets.
    -I'd like to know more about his family background and his life in general.
    -The strongest claim made by the speaker is that hip-hop and Shakespeare's work are very similar. This is a strong claim because he provides concrete examples, such as using a hip-hop beat to read a sonnet.
    -He uses logos to make his speech effective; he provides reasoning and examples why Shakespeare and hip-hop are similar. He also organizes his speech logically, delving into the history and meaning of hip-hop.
    -He challenged my thought that Shakespeare was, as he said, "posh" or upper-class. In fact, Shakespeare's worsk were geared towared the lower classes.
    -I do agree with his central claim, because he gave examples. However, I don't think all hip-hop is so intelligent. Especially these days, and especially "mainstream" hip-hop which is considered "ganster rap". But I do think Shakespeare is similar and I think it's surprising how the rhythms of the poems lend themselves to hip-hop's beats.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1). To be completely honest I do not know anything about Shakespeare, besides he wrote plays.
    2). From this video I found out Shakespeare challenged what writing people were used to.
    3). I feel when he was explaining the 5 elements of hip hop and focusing on the knowledge portion that was his strongest claim. This is because he is appealing to his audience. The speaker is aware he is not talking to teenagers, but ecducated adults who want to listen to what the speaker has to say.
    3). The speaker kept the speech entertaining it was not a long lecture about his point of view of Shakespeare, and how it relates to hip hop, but almost a performance with strong organization.
    4). From the little bit I understood about Shakespeare he challenged that thought that Shakespeare was just a play writer, but he actually has a tie with hip hop with no intention of doing so.
    5). I agree with his central claim, there a relation between hip hop and Shakespeare's writing, I was convinced through his demonstrations, especially when he recited his work to a hip hop beat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. -Shakespeare writes many tragedies. Also, Shakespearian prose in complex and difficult to understand at first.
    -I want to know how Shakespear uses rhetoric in each of his playwrites
    -Knowledge is a key element to hip-hop, rhythm helps us understand feeling -- These are strong claims because he backs up his statements using historical context, and he also breaks down the context of what hip hop actually is.
    -I believe the speaker used a lot of logos and pathos in his speech. He provided a well thorough example for both shakespearian prose and hip hop. The speaker also provided a "poem" of his own near the end mixing the two different aspects into one.
    -Yes, he challenged my idea that Shakespearian prose can coexist with hip hop
    -I agree with the speaker that every generation has their own use of language. During Shakespears time, their language was their rap and the speaker made an example of that towards the end. Hip Hop culture isn't that much different from Shakespearian prose and one way they're connected is through knowledge.

    -Oscar Manuel

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kathy Liang.
    Shakespeare is an English playwright and he’s had a lot of famous plays such as Romeo and Juliet and Othello. I don’t know much about him but he published a lot of great plays between 1589 and 1613. I want to know the connections between Shakespeare's work and hip hop, and I also want to know how did he created words such as "thy" and etc. The speaker made some strong claims such as "It will be difficult to define the source once our perception is taken away", because he did the guess game before saying this and it proved that it is hard to identify the difference between quotes from hip hop and Shakespeare. The speech was effective because he did the quote guessing game in the beginning of his speech. He opened himself to the audience and his tone was pretty casual throughout the presentation. He also used a lot of metaphors and imagery so that the audience can relate to what he was talking about. I did not know much about Shakespeare so he didn’t really challenge any of my ideas. But I thought Shakespeare’s quotes are original and unique until I watched this video to find that there are so many similarities between Shakespeare and hip hop quotes. The speaker’s central claim is that prior knowledge will help you determine the difference between two similar quotes from two completely different people. I agree because it is difficult to identify which quote is quote from just the raw words, and prior knowledge will help because it will notice the subtle differences with the words.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mikee Gacad
    1. First of, from all of the Shakespeare texts that I have read, I still find his diction difficult to comprehend. He is a renowned English writer who was prominent during the late 1500s, and his work is continued to be studied today. Shakespeare has written a variety of plays and poems, from romance to comedy, but they all seem to end in tragedy. Any genre he portrays is done so dramatically.
    2. I want to be able to understand his text. Both on a literal and a figurative language. I want to see how Shakespeare viewed the world and what inspired him to write in the such a style.
    3. The rhythm of hip hop helps people remember and understand language. "The way you say what you're saying, the way you move how you're saying is just as important as what you are saying". This claim can be overlooked, but it is important because it is one of the factors that connect Shakespeare and hip hop. Hip hop uses music and beats, while Shakespeare uses rhythm and dramatic body language to convey his message. Their styles may be significantly different, but they use the same fundamental skills.
    4. The speaker quizzes the audience of the distinction between hip hop and Shakespeare. He mainly utilizes compare and contrast to lessen the gap between the two, and prove that hip hop is like a modern day Shakespeare.
    5. The speaker challenged my views about Shakespeare's words. When he rapped, it was as if I could actually understand him, as opposed to reading the text on paper.
    6. I find his central claim is that language always contains meaning. Although Shakespeare is such a renowned writer, praised by the most prestigious scholars, his work is not the only scholarly form of writing. Hip hop should be given the same chance, the same amount of respect as Shakespeare. In essence, diciton evolves with each generation and time period. Shakespeare wrote in the language of his time, and hip hop is the language of today's youth. I agree with the speaker. All writers have a purpose and deserve to be respected.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know that Shakespeare has written many plays and stories in what is known as Shakespearean language. To many people, it is really complicated to understand, so it’s usually a challenge to read anything that he wrote.
    I want to be able to understand what he has written. I know that it’s a challenge to read what he wrote, let alone trying to understand it. We did have some practice our freshmen year with Twelfth Night, I feel that reading Macbeth would be a bigger challenge.
    His main claim is that Shakespeare’s writing can be the same as hip hop. The elements are practically the same for both. They fit in together. This is his strongest claim because he emphasizes how similar the two are and how they are able to be switched out for one another.
    To make this speech more effective, the speaker gives examples of what he’s trying to prove. He’s using exemplification to appeal to ethos and logos by proving that what he is saying is actually true and not just something that he’s making up as he goes.
    He did not challenge any of my view points. I always knew that Shakespeare’s work can be molded into many different interpretations of the arts, especially music. I’ve also seen a performer rap Romeo and Juliet before.
    I completely agree with his central claim because I’ve seen it happen already. He proves what he’s trying to say by giving examples and explaining what he’s explaining.
    -Roann Dela Vega

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know that Shakespeare wrote many famous plays and poems. I have learned about one of his plays-- the Twelfth Night during freshman year. As for his poems, I've read a few in AP Literature class. I'm aware that his poems are composed in iambic pentameter, having the rhyming scheme of abab, cdcd, efef, gg. His works revolve around a range of themes including romantic love, tragedy, beauty, death, insight, etc. The strongest claim made by the Akala is that hip-hop, Shakespeare and other forms of writing are inherently united. As surprising as this may sound, both Shakespeare and hip-hop are channels where the artists pass their own beliefs and knowledge. These forms of ideas are passed in something that is universally understood-- the language of rhythm. Akala notes that during Shakespeare's time, many were illiterate. Although both forms heavily rely on a specific language have changed over the course of history to deliver their ideas, it is the rhythm of the iambic pentameter that draws the audience and propels them to comprehend the message. There's actually no barrier between hip-hop and Shakespeare--the only barrier would be time. Shakespeare, hip-hop artists, and artists of other writing forms, leave room for the audience to interpret its meaning and execute it. Therefore, the forms of Shakespeare writing and hip-hop can overlap one another, and produce another effect while preserving the central message of the piece. Akala is effectively able to convey this message to the audience by inviting them into an interactive presentation. With frequent gestures, he challenges the audience, asking them questions, anticipating their difficulties with the two forms of writing, and immediately clarifying and jumping to his stream of ideas. His organized presentation, his anticipation of the audience's reactions, his knowledge of the Shakespeare and a variety of hip-hop artists, and his own account of his experiences growing up under the influences of the two forms suggests his appeals to logos, pathos, and ethos. After watching Akala's presentation, I'm convinced that pieces from Shakespeare and hip-hop are closely linked. Before, I thought that there was a major line dividing the two forms. I've associated rap music with something that has a set rhythm, but is delivered in a very free manner. As for Shakespeare, I saw his writing as a form that is delivered in a very strict way-- nothing as free as hip-hop. Akala's presentation has changed this viewpoint of mine, and has allowed me to better understand and appreciate both styles. I agree with Akala’s message, but I have to note that although both forms can be overlapped, delivering the pieces in the different forms can change the meaning of the piece. But either way, even today, Shakespeare’s works are not interpreted in its standard, original manner. Thus, both forms are subject to varying interpretations that change with time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know very little about Shakespeare except that he is a playwright and poet. He has many famous plays and poems that have become classics and are studied extensively. I also know that the type of genre he writes varies from tragedy to comedy. I want to know where Shakespeare’s inspiration came from and what he wanted to achieve when he decided to write.
    The strongest claim made by the speaker is that Shakespeare is not as outdated as everyone believes. His work is actually quite contemporary and related to modern society, especially in terms of hip-hop. This is his strongest claim because he proves that Shakespeare can be turned from poetry into music that anybody would be willing to listen too. He demonstrates by rapping the lyrics of Shakespeare to two different beats which ends up sounding like modern music. The rhetorical devices that the speaker uses to make his speech effective is his appeal to ethos, pathos, and logos. He relates to his audience by keeping them involved and interested in what he is doing, especially the rapping. He is knowledgeable on the topic and shows that he has previous experience with Shakespeare and hip-hop as an mc.
    The speaker did challenge previous ideas I had about Shakespeare. I thought that Shakespeare was quite old, boring, and confusing. I see now that his work can still apply to 2013. I do agree with the speaker’s central claim. He made a convincing argument that he supported with evidence, especially when the speaker used lines from Shakespeare and hip-hop and it was difficult to decipher which was which. As well as when he rapped Shakespeare lines and made it into something intriguing and worth analyzing.
    Ajia Sugahara

    ReplyDelete
  21. -Shakespears was a famous play writer. He created popular plays such as the Twelfth Night, Othello, and Romeo and Juliet.
    -I would like to know about Shakespeare's plays. What inspired him to crete these great plays? How did he start writing plays?
    -Education and the way people precieve things are important. Shakespeare lived in and era where education was not very common, and it was different from the education we know of today. Although many lacked education at the time, Shakespeare's work is still considered brilliant.
    -The speaker gives the audience examples. He raps Shakespeare's plays with different beats to convey the similarities between the two. He uses logos in his Teed Talk. He gave the audience history facts about poetry and hip hop.
    -Yes, I didn't realize the similarites between hip hop and poetry. Shakespeare was a very smart man, who understood the meaning of art, and inspired many.
    -I agree with the speaker. Education can be used to encourage people to acheive their goals. Different types of art can inspire people.
    Jobelle E.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Derek Shiokari
    1) I know he's an english playwrite
    2) I want to know what caused him to start writing
    3) His claim that Shakespeare and hip hop are more connected than people assume, because he showed they both run on the iambic pentameter and that people couldn't tell which lines were hip hop and which were Shakespeare.
    4) he involves his Audience by making them realize how closely connected Shakespeare and hip hop are. He also uses logos to show the two have the same rhythm.

    5) Yes, I thoug hip hop was just noise but he showed me it's more intelligent.

    6) I somewhat agree because most songs can be rapped in the iambic pentameter and he didn't use a lot of evidence to claim that most hip hop is intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1. I know that Shakespeare is a work of art in the form of language and writing.
    2. I want to know how Shakespeare developed this language and how Shakespeare began his works.
    3. The speaker engages with the audience by providing examples in the beginning of the speech, and the purpose of doing this, comes later in his speech on how closely related Shakespeare and Hip Hop are similar forms of art.
    4. Yes, I used to believe Shakespeare and Hip Hop were just works of art to express feeling, or forms of freedom of speech but they are both used to express philosophy.
    5. I agree Hip Hop and Shakespeare are closely related artisically, and although people consider both artistic forms differ, Hip Hop and Shakespeare began with similar concepts.

    Marilyn Oliva

    ReplyDelete
  24. Byron Lui
    Shakespeare was an English poet and a playwright and widely regarded as the greatest writer in his time. Some of works that are extremely well-known are Twelfth Night, Macbeth, Hamlet, the Tempest, and Romeo and Juliet. Shakespeare is well-known for his dark romantic tragedies and romantic comedies. The speaker’s strongest claim is that modern music like hip hop is heavily based off of ancient literature like Shakespeare’s. Language is universal and much of today’s pop culture reference is the descendant of Shakespeare’s language. The speaker uses quotes to help drive his point home on how similar hip hop and Shakespeare’s language are. I agree with his central claim because Shakespeare is a very influential character in today’s modern literature and language and his language still lingers to this day, being used for regular colloquialism or through song.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I too am like the people the speaker was talking about. I figured Shakespeare to be some sort of “posh”, noble person who thought of himself as above all of his peers.
    I want to know why Shakespeare wrote the plays, poems, etc. he did because there isn’t much to learn from his personal life. People don’t really know what he did in spare time and I think that’s essential to understanding his work.
    The strongest claim by the speaker is that hip hop and Shakespeare’s work are almost identical in structure and because people weren’t able to differentiate from Shakespeare and hip hop, hip hop should be more respected rather than disregarded.
    To make his speech effective, he interacted immensely with the crowd. He also employed poems in his speech that made the speech more interesting to listen to. Instead of dully speaking to the crowd, he got them out of their seats.
    He didn’t really change my view of Shakespeare because I always respected his work, on the other hand, my view of hip hop changed greatly because I usually dismissed it as a genre for drugs, violence, etc.
    His central claim of how Shakespeare is still relevant today is very valid, he argued it through his raps and it all added to the fact that hip hop has many of Shakespeare’s elements.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jeremy C. Curimao:

    What do you know about Shakespeare?
    - Shakespeare is one of the most revered writers of the 19th century. Both as a poet and a playwright, he has written some of the most celebrated plays, including "Romeo and Juliet", "Macbeth", and "Hamlet".
    What do you want to know about Shakespeare or his works?
    - I'd like to know what makes Shakespeare so famous and widely praised and still reinstated as a relevant figure in both American and world literature.
    What are the strongest claims made by the speaker? Why?
    - The strongest claim that remained outstanding in the speech is that Hip-hop music is generally misunderstood by people who claim to know a great deal of knowledge of it. His audience seems to be affected by this claim as they remain quiet and reserved.
    What does the speaker DO to make his speech effective? In other words, what rhetorical devices make his speech work?
    - Using Shakespeare with Hip-hop proved to be really effective. He also apparently has an extensive amount of knowledge about the history of hip-hop while providing insight into his opinion of today's hip-hop.
    Did he challenge any previous ideas you had about Shakespeare? If so, which ones?
    - I don't necessarily think he did. He mainly used Shakespeare in a more different way than most people would.
    What is your opinion of his central claim? Do you agree or not?
    - Education is a key aspect in life as it is so important in all areas of life after adolescence. I agree with him because the claim he provides is obviously true and relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Shakespeare was a prominent playwright in the 1600s. I want to know more about what inspired Shakespeare's works. The strongest claim made by the speaker is that he varies his tone. The rhetorical devices that the speaker incorporated were repetition to emphasize his main points in comparing hip-hop with Shakespeare. He claims that modern day works and past works share more similarities than would be normally thought of. I can somewhat agree with the speaker in that hip-hop and Shakespeare have less differences.

    ReplyDelete